We opened and have served the Kona Community since 1989.
We are proud to have made a commitment to our community. We have made a few moves over the years, from the Kaloko Light Industrial Area to Kealakekua, back to Kaloko and then above the Honokohau Harbor. We are now in our very impressive location on Hualalai Road right off Queen K in the Heart of Kona Town. Please stop by and visit us you will love our 8,000 square foot facility open air, brightly lit facility.
Owner and Optional Coach Nanette Guiffrida-Kunkle
- Nanette was born & raised in Jamestown, New York.
- She trained for ten years in the sport of gymnastics and competed at the Elite Level.
- She went on to Penn State University for a summer.
- After schooling she moved to California and started her coaching career.
- She started to train in the circus arts with her specialty being the trapeze. Nanette spent some time working with the circus and doing stunt work for commercials.
- 1984 she took her coaching to a new level and worked with Bela & Marta Karolyi in Spring, Texas, she then went on to coach with Olympic Coach Dan Connelly.
- She moved back to Los Angeles and opened her own business before coming to Hawaii. She opened Kona Aerials Gymnastics in 1989 and has trained many young athletes who went on to successful careers including former Junior Elite gymnast Shantessa Pama and Rachel Smith Kunkel, 2004 Olympic Springboard Diving competitor.
- 1998 – Nanette gave birth to twins Jesse & Kyla who you will see helping out around the gym.
- 2007 – Nanette married Joe Kunkle whose wonderful koa or mango wood trophies you will see at the gymnastics meets that we host.
- 2008 – Nanette started judging Compulsory Gymnastics competitions. She also is teaching Senior Fitness classes which she loves!
One of her best gymnastics memories is watching Nadia Comaneci and her perfect ten at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal, Canada.
- John Reardon
- Hadley Beach
- Michelle Proue
- Rhonda Baker